The New Community College (NCC) at CUNY seeks an Academic Internship Specialist to work in the Office of Partnerships and Community Engagement. The Office is charged with working with community partners to support a host of experiential opportunities including placements to support the College’s academic program and career preparation. Reporting to the Director, the Academic Internship Specialist will be expected to assist with identifying community partners from a range of sectors who can provide suitable short- and long-term placements, prepare students for such activities; work collaboratively with students, faculty and staff to foster clear communications around goals; work directly with community partners to monitor and support placements; provide pre-career workshops; and perform other related projects as needed.
General Duties: Supports an academic internship program providing career development and professional work experience.
- Acts as liaison between the College and employer sponsors, monitoring the success of students’ internship experiences
- Supervises student internships, assuring adherence to related College and governmental policies and regulations
- Creates and conducts orientation sessions and workshops for students in the internship program; coordinates applications, interviews, and placement as part of overall student outreach
- Provides faculty orientation and development related to internship programs
- Implements and evaluates competencies and other success factors
- Performs related duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and four years’ related experience required.
- Four years of experience working with students providing career advising, internship placements, and counseling required
- Strong presentation, verbal and interpersonal communication skills to successfully work with and present to diverse audiences required
- Strong work ethic, character and personal integrity, and work with the utmost professionalism, discretion and confidentiality required
- Detail oriented with strong writing, analytical, evaluative, and organizational skills required
- Demonstrated experience working with linguistically, culturally, and academically diverse student populations, particularly underprepared high school or college students in an educational setting or program strongly preferred
- Experience working in a time-sensitive, dynamic, student-centered and responsive office preferred
- Flexibility to work some evening hours and occasional weekends preferred
- Experience working in a team-oriented, outcomes focused work environment preferred
- Multi-lingual speaker preferred.
Compensation: Commensurate with qualifications and experience FLSA: Exempt Job Title: Academic Internship Specialist
To Apply: Click the following link http://cuny.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=34824 (or copy & paste it to your web browser) to apply via the Interview Exchange application processing website. For full consideration, complete applications must be submitted with the following required documents: a cover letter, current resume or CV, and the contact information for at least three professional references. CUNY Job Notice #: MP20158; Interview Exchange Job ID #: 34824; Close Date: October 25, 2012.
To see the full job posting/position description and qualification requirements, go to the CUNY website at http://www.cuny.edu/employment.html Click on Additional Job Opportunities under the Search for Jobs section of the page, and then click the Job Title for the position.
EEO Statement: The City University of New York (CUNY) is an EO/AA Employer.