The Jane Addams Resource Corporation (JARC) promotes strong communities, businesses and households to ensure that people who work do not live in poverty. JARC builds healthy communities through workforce, economic, and human development. Our mission is to help people improve their skills so they can advance both personally and professionally.
JARC is home to the Adult Learners Program (ALPS), a tutoring program that offers small group and one-on-one tutoring to adults functioning below the 9th grade level in reading and mathematics. We work with students with a variety of personal, academic and professional goals, to help them improve their basic skills in Mathematics, Reading, Writing, GED preparations, and English as a Second Language.
The adult literacy intern will get hands on lesson planning and client services experience by assessing students, formulating goal-oriented lesson plans, and conducting follow up appointments to check student progress. The internship offers the opportunity for training in the field of adult literacy, direct client contact, and experience working in a leading social service agency.
This position is unpaid and runs from early November to late January with a flexible weekly schedule of 5 – 10 hours a week.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting with pre-and – post testing of students to assess entry level and progress.
- Research and develop supplementary workshops for adult learners on relevant topics
- Assisting with the development of individualized lesson plans for adult learners
- Meeting with clients to track student progress and provide support
- Enthusiasm for motivating and supporting individuals in their academic pursuits
- Ability to work independently
- Strong research/planning/organizational skills
- Experience working with adult learners a plus.
- Bilingual English-Spanish preferred
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Adult Literacy Program Coordinator